Saturday, September 30, 2006

WATCH (the) MAN – WATCHMAN


“Watchman. . . Watchman” . . . call him this way and he comes running even at odd hours to open the gate for me. Today the gate is open and my watchman is not at the gate where he usually stands. I find some space at my private parking area occupied by the watchman for having dinner. I have canteen at office and a dinning table at home. Poor fellow where else will he go? This was my gesture towards him when I got down from my bike. As I move towards the staircase which leads to my home, I hear a very gentle voice “Vanga . . . vandhu saapdunga” Startled by the dinner invitation I took few quick steps backwards so that I reach close to him. With utmost courtesy my watchman is enquiring me if I had dinner as it was sometime past 10 pm. This is what his “Vanga . . . vandhu saapdunga” had to convey. He knows I’m not going to take share in his dinner; still he had that simple yet hospitable attitude to ask me. I have been in this apartment for the past one year. I cross the gate (also the watchman) at least twice a day. But I never had the cordial nature even to smile at him. But today he thought me a strong lesson. In a quick jiffy I’ve learnt to WATCH the watchman as a MAN.
“Time as he grows old teaches him many lessons”
I’m learning . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!…learning is continuous :)
Aysh

Nivi said...

ha ha... good starter.. (I meant the watchman) :)

Girl of Destiny said...

Good that you know where to find the lesson! That in itself is a learning.
:)

Bala said...

ah ha . . i thought everyone will look into the emotional part of the blog but all three hit the nail straight on its head..THE LESSON :)